After we met his parents, they took us to see the church, meet the missionaries, and do some shopping. They showed us the nifty shopping carts there, coolest idea ever. The shopping carts are attached together in the stall and you can't get one out unless you put a euro in it. When you return the cart, you get your euro back and WhaLa, no shopping carts left all over in the parking lot. Genius! They then took us to their apartment in Rimpar where we ate some bratwursts and cheese for dinner and then Brett and I promptly fell asleep after being awake for approximately 24 hours.
The view from Chandler and Cheryl's apartment in Rimpar
The next day we decided to tour some places in Wurzburg that Brett and I didn't get around to the first day. We first took a tour of The Residence which is a huge mansion where all the Bishops used to live. It was so beautiful inside. The paintings and artwork were the most ornate I have ever seen, but we weren't allowed to take any photographs inside :( . The Residence was surrounded by acres and acres of beautifully landscaped gardens which we had a good time exploring.
We then toured the castle above Wurzburg. People actually still live in this one, which was a little different. It was surrounded by vineyards on all the steep hillsides. In all the castles , there were so many entrances to tunnels that were blocked off, I just wish I could go through them and explore them all! I was thouroughly intrigued and would just stare into the blackness through the gates trying to imagine where they led. This castle offered a beautiful birds eye view of Wurzburg.
After a long day of walking, we ate dinner at a chicken place in Wurzuburg that one of the members manages. We got to meet him, and eat some delicious fried chicken. This chicken place is actually located on one of the streets where Hitler marched his troops during the war.
We proceeded to drive to Frankfurt this afternoon where we did some sight seeing. On the drive into Frankfurt we had to take a Ferry at one point across the river. We were lucky enough to get an ice cream truck on the ferry with us and took full advantage of it. We took some pictures of the Frankfurt Cathedral, listened to part of the mass, walked through a street fair, and ate some bratwursts. At the end of the night Chandler and Cheryl dropped us off at a hotel so we could fly out early in the morning back home.
We had so much fun in Germany and had a great time visiting with Brett's parents and meeting all the people they write home about. All of the little towns were picturesque, tucked in small valleys, with a river flowing through it, and a castle towering above. Loved it.
1 comment:
I never imagined Germany as being so enchanting! I think it is great you got to see so much and spend time with Brett's parents.
Excited to see you guys at Thanksgiving!
Post a Comment